The Story of Loaves & Fishes
Much has happened since Lighthouse Publishing was founded by Darold Gingerich in the early 1990’s. But it all began when God called Darold out of dead works into a new life with Christ. After his conversion, he attended a prison ministry with some of his friends and saw first-hand some of the needs in prison. He recognized the need for discipleship and literature to leave with the prisoners.
During this time Darold was inspired to publish a discipleship magazine especially for prisoners. He purchased some printing equipment and set up a small print shop in the bedroom of a mobile home they were using for an office building.
Publishing a magazine is a little easier dreamed about than accomplished, and over the years Lighthouse Publishing turned into a small commercial print shop with a focus on printing Christian literature. We eventually also had a bookstore, sermon tape ministry, and gospel sign ministry.
Finally, four moves and ten years after the first inspiration, the Loaves & Fishes magazine was born. We printed 3,300 copies of our introductory issue in 2002. It took a little promotion on our part in the beginning, but before long, word of mouth and copies being passed around generated lots of awareness.
Today Lighthouse Publishing is tightly focused on publishing Christian literature for prisoners. Loaves & Fishes circulation has exceeded 75,000 copies, and our goal is to publish four issues of this magazine per year. We also have plans for a Spanish version of Loaves & Fishes and perhaps a magazine targeted toward women in prison.
We are looking for individuals, churches, and business owners who are willing to partner with us in giving the chaplains what they need in their outreach and to supply hungry souls in prison with solid, Biblical teaching.
Lighthouse Publishing is a non-profit ministry under Burning Bush Mennonite Church. Donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. (If you have questions, consult a knowledgeable tax accountant, such as Shrock Business Services.)
Our Vision Statement
To disciple believers in the prisons of the USA through sound Christian literature.
To publish Loaves & Fishes every three months and inspire hunger for God, disciple believers, and provide fellowship for those in prison.
- We are burdened with the need for discipleship among new believers in prison.
- We must do the will of our Father while it is day, before the night comes and no man can work.
- We use the power of written words to influence the minds and destinies of people.
- We use premium quality paper, printing, writing, graphics, and design to convey value and the love of Christ to our readers.
- We believe the Loaves & Fishes magazine should be free to prisoners and supported by churches, individuals, and businesses who wish to help.
- We will not go into debt to print free literature.
- We work with God in His ministry. When there are needs, we actively seek partners to work with us, whether by praying for the needs, donating funds, or giving of their time to fill open positions.
- We believe the true Gospel saves men and women from sin as they respond in faith and obedience to Jesus Christ.
- We purpose to teach God’s truth even in the face of persecution.
What We Believe
- Jesus is the Messiah, the Savior of the world.
- He is the only way that men can be saved (Acts 4:12).
- He died for the sins of all people (John 3:16).
- He rose from the dead on the third day (Luke 24:6 & 7).
- He ascended into Heaven (Luke 24:51).
- He will return again (Acts 1:11).
- In the New Birth (John 3:7).
- In following the New Testament literally.
- In observing communion and foot washing (John 13).
- In holy living (1 Peter 1:15).
- In abstaining from worldly lusts and entertainment (1 Peter 2:11).
A Presentation in Your Church?
We occasionally travel to share a presentation with churches. If your church or group of friends would like for us to do a presentation, please let us know.